Todd Barry’s been a guest on more podcasts than I can count. In fact, I can’t confidently say I’d heard of him before he started doing the guest rounds. At most, he was a familiar face. His neurosis became as familiar to me as it was consistent.
He’s a complex dude, a wonderfully weird dude. And he’s clearly become comfortable in this medium.
It was just a matter of time before he started his own show. His style is so distinctive; his jokes only work when he tells them. They’re meandering at times and plotting at others, but they almost always land. He’s mastered comedic delivery; that’s why I was excited to check out his new show on Feral Audio, The Todd Barry Podcast.
I just listened to episode 13 with Comedy Bang Bang’s Scott Aukerman, who was purportedly “the first guest to take Todd out to lunch after taping the podcast.” Here are my first impressions:
- It’s funny. Granted, Aukerman punched it up a bit.
- It runs just under an hour–a perfect 6 to 7 miler
- The audio was a little off (a lot of white noise). But probably just a cheap mic issue.
- It still feels like it’s finding its feet. But I can’t think of a podcast that was at fighting weight by the 13th episode.
- It’s hard to tell if Barry is built for the one-on-one interview. He may need a sidekick. But again, the show’s so new.
Verdict, I may let this one cook a little bit more before I listen again, but I expect great things.